The Krishi Vigyan Kendra is sponsored by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi, and is implemented by the Mehsana District Education Foundation, Ganpat University. The KVK works on three fundamental principles viz.
- Agricultural Production as prime goal
- Work experience is main method of imparting the training
- Priority to weaker section of the society, is the back bone of the KVK programme.
The main idea is to influences the productivity to achieve social justice for the most needy and deserving weaker section of the society like small and marginal farmers, agricultural and landless labourers, drought and flood affected farmers, tribal farmers and so on. Need based training courses are design for different type of clientele. Course are base on information received trough survey. After training, follow up extension programme are organized for the convicting acquired skills of the trainees into practice while designing the courses, the concept of faming is taken into account to make the enterprises commercially viable.
The training starts from farmers production units such as fields, farm dairy unit, poultry unit, workshops etc. and terminates in discussion assembly. The training programme taken into account all method and mean which will results in skill development into trainees in the area of their interest. It can be informal, formal and non-formal or combination of all the three depending upon the needs and resources of the farmers.
The main objective of the KVK is provide a strong training support for bringing about the production breakthrough in agriculture the specific objective are as follows :
- Plan and conduct the survey of the operational area to prepare the resource inventory with special reference to identify the training needs of the farming community
- Compile all relevant recommendation /package of practices for the district to be meaningfully utilizes in the training courses and follow up the extension programme.
- Plan and conduct production oriented, need based short and long duration training courses both, on campus and as well as in village for t\he various target groups with priority on weaker and poor sections.
- Organizes farm science clubs to inculcate in the younger generation a liking for and an interest in agricultural and allied science and for sciences and scientific farming through supervised projects.
- Develop and maintain the campus, farms and demonstration units on scientific lines as the facilities for providing work experience to trainees as also dissemination of the latest technical know-how.
- Providing practical training facilities home making and nutrition education for the rural community and gradually encompars other important area such as home craft and cottage industries.